keskiviikko 28. syyskuuta 2011

About Q1 milestone, Coffee cupping and live Rugby


Last week at site was shorter than expected and I got to go home already on Thursday afternoon. I also managed to make my first mistake in traffic at Moranbah town that day. I was fueling in before heading to airport, left the gas station turning right to reach the main road and quite quickly realized I must got it wrong as in no time there was a car coming against, the driver showing the international sign of dislike and blowing the horn. Ooooops. Shit. This is a one way road and I am going it the wrong way. I kindly waved and smiled to the driver (who still had his middle finger up and was shouting something I luckily didn’t hear but could read some common insulting words from his lips), quickly reversed back to the gas station, gave another confused smile and a wave and took a bit of a time out. Focus girl, focus. I knew some mistake would eventually come to my way and luckily it was at a small town like Moranbah with very little speed. Also, it was a rent car so the guy can’t track down who was the “dum *itch” blocking his way. No harm done. I am a tourist. No one knows me here, I hope.

Same evening I met few Finns from Nokia and went to see the Brisbane City festival light show to South Bank. I had heard a lot of good about the light show but for me it was a bit of a disappointment as we had a poor location and it didn’t look that good from a side angle. After the show we headed to Powerhouse for drinks AND I saw an opossum on the way. Yay! My first living wildlife spotted in the city! I did run after it to get a pic, absolutely no idea why – it is a big rat after all. At Powerhouse I also found out that the night was my 3 months anniversary at Australia. The Finns asked how long I have been here and I said 2 months without even thinking. “Yes, I have been here two months, eight week that is, feels so much longer though”. It was Kalle who corrected that I have been more than that as I came already in June. *Counting July, August, September. Ahaaaa!* Really, is it three months then? How come such a big milestone can come from the back left corner without me noticing? One quarter of life down under, time flies! I was super happy to have reached a proper milestone and not just some baby stuff like eight weeks. Also, I felt very lucky to be here with an open ticket. If I had only one year time I would be panicking already to have only ¾ left, now I have 3y and 9m until my visa expires and that’s a lot better. So we raised a glass of wine for Ansku Q1 Down under, I felt very proud of myself. As next morning I had a meeting at 8am I decided to leave the celebration to Friday night. I did raise more than 3 glasses then, few for the upcoming exciting months too. Also an overly drunken Aussie guy made me feel like million dollars by grabbing my ass and saying “hey blond, fancy a *uck” while I was ordering my white wine at the bar. A very feminine open hand slap would’ve suited the situation well. I think I should learn to slap too. I do prefer the “Thanks mate” over this.

On Saturday I had been invited to a Coffee tasting at Campos, a very nice coffee house next to James street market. I have never been in a non-alcoholic tasting before and was very much looking forward to it. Also last time I visited the place I met the owner and he was super passionate about the quality of coffee so I knew this better be good. We got our aprons which made me a bit suspicious of what’s about to come and went to this mysterious quite dark and small room with a long table in the middle filled with little cups, six cups for each of us. We were about to start “Cupping” = standardized tasting technique to evaluate the flavor and aroma of coffee = kupitus = kupittaminen? In each of our cups we had about 2 table spoons of freshly roasted and grounded coffee, 5 of single origin quality and one of commodity coffee supposedly to highlight the bad comparison. Our first task was to smell the grounds and compare the observations, the fragrance of the coffee. My favorite at this point was an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Haille Selassie 607 (wasn’t Haille Selassie an Ethiopian long distance runner?), it smelled a lot like fruits and bubble gum (maybe this was the coffee I got with my first D&D visit, but did not get the bubble gum then though)…and as my minor hangover made me super hungry for sweets I chose this one to be the best. After the grind smelling they poured boiling filtered water to each cup and let it brew for some five minutes. We were to smell the coffee again and stir it 2 times with heated spoons (important!) to help the grinds sink to the bottom of the cup. In each of the phase the aroma of the coffee was very different, the one that was sweet at the beginning turned out to be quite dry and burnt after 5 minutes brewing. I believe the same applies for other areas of life also. Then they scooped out the floating grinds and the coffee was finally ready for us to taste. About time! The coffee was supposed to be slurped loudly from the spoon to cover whole tongue and get more air at the same time. I was very bad at the slurping. You learn it before you’re six that slurping is bad no matter how hot your soup or drink might be. Thanks Mum. Anyways I still liked the first fruity Ethiopian long distance runner the best. The third one was so bad I almost spit it out. Number 4 and 5 got evenly ranked for second and third. All in all it was very interesting to compare so many different qualities and really focus on analyzing the different aroma and taste. So often with coffee I just need it for the daily caffeine kick and don’t really pay attention to it, it’s either good or bad. As this was the first cupping a lot of my energy went for the excitement, new people, surroundings and info overload so I believe with a new try I would get more out of the tasting itself.

I also learned a lot of coffee trivia. We got a presentation of each of the quality: the location, how they are processed and who are the farmers and saw lots of pictures too. I didn’t know that as coffee is harvested it’s really a fruit, coffee cherry, not a bean. He also told about the Cup of Excellence concept “a lottery win for the producer and Eurovision song contest for the roasters” and how the top coffees ends up to quality places like Campos. First there is the national “competition” where top cuppers (=kupittajat?) score there different qualities and only the best ones are allowed to move forward in the competition. For the judges, the cuppers, it is strictly forbidden to show any expression about the quality (how good or bad it is) as it might influence the other cuppers and just need to silently give a score for it. He also told about cupping Jesus Jorge Escobar who is the best in the world and has a lot of power in the business and if he thinks coffee is good the price of that quality starts sky rocketing immediately. And if he gives a grin the competition, rest of the cuppers think that particular quality sucks too and the farmer is doomed. I couldn’t help at wonder what Jorge Escobar would say about the shiiiiat that is called office coffee in Finland. Long live Juhlamokka and the poor colleague who gets the last cup from the pot. Anyways, after the 30 best qualities of coffees for the year are announced, registered roasters can order samples for these 30 qualities and after 5 weeks starts and online auction where roasters can bid for the quality they would like to buy. Our coffee guru told us Campos orders usually a sample from all of the 30 qualities, organizes their own cupping event where each cupper must give 3 coffee beans for the best, 2 for the second best and 1 for the third best quality. Those qualities that get most scores they try to bid at the auction. Very exciting! Anyways, as 1 pound of commodity coffee might cost 1-2dollars, the best Cup of Excellence coffees might cost even 80 dollars per pound. Whoooh, it better be good then. And you see why it is a lottery win for the farmers. More so than for the winners of Eurovision Song contest I believe…and hope. Hard Rock Halleluja and so forth.

I am not sure but I got the picture that Campos is the only place organizing cupping at Brisbane and according to our guide the word is out there and they get a lot of bookings. It was also incredibly cheap, only 11AUD for the cupping (took 1h) and 20AUD if you wanted to have your favorite coffee with you. I definitely recommend cupping for those who like good coffee and are interested to learn more about it. I at least found all the stories and trivia very interesting, I think it was the best part of it. Rest of the day was very lazy. Had lunch nearby Campos (as they didn’t serve food at that time), went home to do a bit of laundry and headed out again for some drinks at South Bank. There was a Cuban band playing at Wunderbar (a bar opened just for the Brisbane city festival) so decided to stay there…good decision as it was super cool. I think in my previous life I was from Latin America (explained by my big bum, temper and passion for Latin dancing) and made a promise to self  to find a salsa class as soon as I am done with the site visits (Missing our Monday dance dates Inna!!). I was all smile after the show and I didn’t even get to dance…think about what happens when I get my booty on the floor. Whoop Whoop.

Main program for Sunday was a live rugby game at Suncorp Stadium. I was about to lose my Rugby virginity, how about that. The game was a final for the best team in Queensland, i.e. piirinmestaruuskilpailu. The game was Wynnum Manly Seagulls against Tweed Heads Seagulls (the nice place in the border of QLD and NSW). What’s with the seagulls, it’s not a cool bird. We arrived to the stadium 15 minutes before the “kick” and in 10 seconds I got the beef of the event, it’s all about beer with rugby. I so did not blend in with my summer dress, but who cares, I am a tourist watching a live rugby game for the first time in my life. My first shock was about the buuuuuing, everyone was buuuuing for the Tweed Heads team. How unfair is that? These people don’t know the concept of Fair Play? And it must be sad to enter the field with people buuuuuing for you? I felt bad for the team and decided to support them, they also had better outfit (black and white, I am very black and white) and I liked Tweed Heads as a place few weeks ago. As the game started so started the shouting. Next to us was this a bit older Aussie guy, obviously a Wynnum supporter who was shouting ALL THE TIME. Show’em Wynnum! Go get them Wynnum! Smash them Wynnum! They are nothing but flower sticks Wymmun! Rip his head of Wynnum! F*** You Mother F***er (as the judge gave a free ball for Tweed Heads) and it went on. There were small kids around, I think I wouldn’t bring my kids here. The best thing about this guy was that he didn’t even place his cheering to fit the game…he just had the record on, shouting as loud as he could because he obviously thought it was a cool thing to do. Not cool. You and the seagulls (bird) are not cool. So the first part of the game I just wanted him to shut up, lose his voice or someone stuff the stupid cap into his mouth. Pliiiis. I felt sorry for Juha sitting next to him, I think he’s suffering from left ear tinnitus nowadays. The first half ended with Tweed Heads leading 10-0 and I was happy that we were half way with the game already. As said before, this is not very intelligent game. It’s very violent one.

The second half started well as the loud guy was gone. So in theory the situation was optimal to focus on the game without annoying supporters making your blood pressure raise but in reality all I could think was ice cream. Yes, for 40 minutes I was thinking of ice cream and where to get one. In the meanwhile Wynnum got a new gear to their game and won 16-10 or something and everyone at the crowd was very happy. They had a small medal ceremony at the field with speeches and everything and sang some kind of an anthem. And that was pretty much it for my first live rugby game. I wasn’t badly traumatized, I am willing to go and see a game again, but prefer it to be a big game and none of these local ones. I did get my ice cream also, Mövenpick Swiss chocolate and mint…two scoops, one for each of 40 minutes of rugby. In the evening Marijke, Kalle and I headed to Ferny Grove for Ross’s famous pizza. He was a happy cook for his new Dutch customer who obviously was a fan of his pizza before it got out of the oven. Good times and excellent dinner.

Now I am again here at Dysart doing trainings at Peak Downs, the last week of my intermediate role and then I finally get into the real stuff. I almost managed to get through this trip without any travel booking hiccups until I arrived to the motel I was supposed to stay in and found out there is no reservation for me. It kind of freaked me out because I knew all of these small mine towns are always sold out in terms of motel accommodation and I had no plan b. The only room they had available was the suite and I HAD TO settle for that one. I was glad to. So now I am in this huge suite with big living room, huge balcony and a jacuzzi. And the best part of it: no wildlife in, lights in the bathroom and a hair dryer. WIN! Few hours ago I also did my first 10km run! See, I did it before end of September as promised *proud*. For my surprise it was very smooth and the last 3km where the easiest ones. So Dysart is from now on a special place in terms of running milestones and the time here in the middle of nowhere has really paid off sports wise. 

This is my last site visit for a while and from next week onwards I’ll be mainly at Bris. It’s good to have a bit of normal life and sleep in my own bed, dress up and get something else than cup noodles for lunch. Still I think it has been quite of an adventure and I wouldn’t change a day. Looking back I have learned so much - about mining, miners, and the culture and mindset here.  It’s the unknown and uncomfort zone where you learn the most, about yourself too.

I better do some stretching before calling it a night. Like you wanted to know but anyways…pusmoi!

//Ansku

PS: The reward for my 10km was a Fazer Tyrkisk Peber filled liquorice I got from my friends back home. It tasted very sweet. Salty and sweet. Just like my run :) I also got bunch of women's magazines that I am reading very carefully, extremely focused and in peace and quiet (you find a lot of peace and quiet here at Dysart, the only disruption is the Motel gecko)…no words to thank you enough for the great surprise, love it! 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti