keskiviikko 21. syyskuuta 2011

About name identity crisis, double-mate-and-punch and the normal stuff


Training was quite fun last week. At Norwich Park I had once again room full of rough miners with good sense of humor and the site coffee was the best so far (not instant). I got an invitation for another field tour the next time I am visiting the site from a supervisor and an open invitation to a BBQ party at Gold Coast, in a penthouse, from a very cheesy and a bit older Brazilian guy. Thank you, but no thank you (to the BBQ party I mean). He also commented my name Anna-Maria to be the “most beautiful name in the world” *with cheesy Latin American accent* and that I would love Brazil for sure, especially his home city. Great, and let's move on with the topic of the day.The rest of the group was laughing for his effort, everyone seemed to know where he came from. Oh the Brazilians. I also met a girl who's going to Europe for a holiday and planning to visit Helsinki for half a week and gave her lots of tips&tricks for her stay. And the best part of it; between Helsinki, Stockholm and Oslo, Helsinki was the winner for the northern Europe city to visit. Also, at Norwich Park I needed to choose a marble from the bag again and still haven't experienced the random drug/alcohol test. Green marble it was. Maybe I should try my luck with lottery too?


Talking about names, here at Australia I am struggling if I should introduce myself as Anna or Anna-Maria. Anna is of course very short, concise and easy to remember but somehow doesn't feel like me. Anna-Maria is also very international, although here it is most of the times turning into Ann-Marie. The problem with Anna-Maria is the fact that no one used it back in Finland. It was used mainly by my parents in case I have done something bad...my mom is especially scary in her "Anna-Maria Kristiina Karjalainen" with pitch getting lower and icy eyes letting you immediately know you are in trouble (And to clarify, this hasn't happened in near history, maybe when I was 15 or something). Anyways, I am so used to being called Ansku that it is very difficult to adapt to a new name, I don’t obey the name Anna-Maria unless it’s mom or dad. And yes, Ansku seems to be a bit too tricky to pronounce although two of my colleagues and Marijke do that and I always smile when I hear them say it. So far I have been using more of Anna-Maria, but if in a hurry, tired or similar I'll just say Anna because it usually does not lead to further spelling exercise. We'll see what happens with time. Surname is a different story. It is impossible for the Aussies and I am widely known as "the girl whose surname I cannot pronounce". People get very confused with so much consonants and weird pronunciation. And I end up apologizing for the complexity and saying that one of the key reasons I hope to get married is to get a new surname that is shorter and easier to pronounce and spell. Also the guy doing the travel booking says he doesn’t like to do those for me as he needs to spell out my name every time. Ha! Maybe this is the reason for my bad luck with travel bookings? I do! Anyone?

I’ve also had my share of Australian “mate” culture. “G ‘Day mate” is a common way to say “what’s up dude?” (Also “Ta” is very retarded way to say thank you) and miners use it a lot when they meet a male colleague, at least this was the impression I had over the 5 weeks. I also hear women calling their male colleagues mate, but not vice versa. Well, last week when one of my trainees was leaving the session he gently punched me to the shoulder and said “Thanks mate, good session mate”. I was shocked. Not because he said thank you but because of the “mate”. And the punch. The combination of double-mate-and-punch. I am not a mate. I am a female. I wear nail polish, in toe nails too. I have lip gloss. And make-up. And jewelry. And underneath the unisex company gear out of non-flammable fabric with reflectors and orange color there is a woman. Me! Anna, Anna-Maria, Ansku! Not a mate, mate! I didn’t say anything for the guy, I just gave a very confused smile and wished him a good weekend. Is it the short hair?

When I told this to my client contact (a lady) and few colleagues too, I was told it is a good sign that a miner is calling you a mate. “Because it’s an expression used when they think you are on their side and accepted”. Well, in a way I see the point and agree the intention behind the mate and the punch was good. It was his way of giving feedback. As in Finland no feedback is the good feedback here apparently ‘Thanks mate’ is a sign you’ve done well. And of course it is good to hear you’ve done well with the most boring topic ever. Also before starting I was a bit worried about the fact of being such an odd ball at the site with no credibility and was happy to see it’s not a case and I have a weird skill of being able to bond with people from very different worlds. But still I think being called mate isn’t very flattering, it was a hit towards my womanhood that is struggling to survive in the unisex, non-flammable gear. Don’t know if I should grow a thicker skin and learn to take the “hey mate” as a positive thing? Say “Thanks mate” and punch back? And learn to punch too? Oh well, it is a long way down from the world of office geeks in their socks and sandals to a mine site with these rough around the edges macho guys with dirty faces and dirty sense of humour. I needed a big change and I got it…gotta love the adventure. Also as Marijke said the punch on the shoulder is way better option than someone grabbing your ass. I second that. And it was good feedback after all.

As I told you weekend was very hot here in Brisbane. So far the nights have been fairly cold and day temperature max 23 degrees but last weekend we hit the 30 degrees and I didn’t even need my heated blanket. I haven’t really assimilated the fact that I am living in an eternal summer and that days are sunny by default and clouds or rain a rare exception. It feels unreal. I still automatically choose the sunny side of the road. I still carry pullover or a light jacket when going out at night although you don’t need it. I still feel like being on a holiday just for the sake of being able to have brekkie outdoors, visit beautiful beaches with 1 hour drive and wear sunglasses every day. It is amazing what warmth and sun can do for your mind and soul. You have the “life is good” mode on. Saturday was most likely the warmest day here so far, already at 10am it was almost 25 degrees. I put on my summer dress and headed to Dandelion & Driftwood for some quality coffee and brekkie outdoors with Kalle. At D&D I finally got the scones with cream cheese and raspberry jam and learned that traditionally scones are served with whipped cream and my request is a bit of odd one. I explained that throughout my life scones and bagels have been in the same category and best when served with cream cheese and jam and the owner told my categorization is wrong but he will get me what I want if it makes me happy. It did. D&D is a lovely coffee house. It’s very cozy, the owner has great sense of humour and they are passionate of what they do and serve good stuff. The only thing that sucks is the location, you need a car to get there conveniently. A car with aircon that is.

Saturday was also a moving in day for Marijke and had agreed to carry the big stuff with bunch of colleagues. She’s moved only 280 meters (280 meters closer to my place, yay) so it didn’t really make sense to rent a car/moving company and in addition moving is fun if you do it with friends. She had also borrowed shopping carts from Coles to help out with some of the stuff which was a brilliant idea in my opinion. We were a funny sight carrying the sofa and the mattress in the middle of the road as the footpaths are so narrow. For our surprise no one was blowing the horn for blocking the traffic but waving friendly instead and cheering for support. I also got a title of being “the strongest woman in Finland” as I got slightly upset with the guys analysing on how to get the washing machine up the stairs. In my opinion you do not wonder or analyze, you lift the darn thing and get it up the stairs ;) We got it up, and I got a big bruise in the process (my own fault). Anyways moving was fun and afterwards it was good to enjoy the afternoon sun on her balcony. Rest of the weekend was very easy going. I met dear Kaija after her holidays in Finland and saw bunch of pictures from back home that made feel a bit home sick for the beautiful Finnish summer. I also got salmiakki and Fazer liquorice which is always much appreciated. It is such a cliché, but salmiakki is pretty important part of life for a Finn…as is rye bread. Kaija is going to Finnish bakery in Brisbane this week to get me some and I think I will eat the first piece standing and keep a silent minute for it. Aaaah, think about it, rye bread with butter. Yes, I am hungry while writing this.

Now I am back here at Moranbah, giving training at Broadmeadow mine site. I had once again a bit of hassle with the travel bookings, or maybe just the common story of no bookings whatsoever made for me for this week. I arrived to the office with my suitcase, found out the lack of bookings, laughed (I am in the laughing mode already with these hiccups) and took the 2pm flight to Moranbah but had no rent car as they were sold out. In the plane I was sitting next to very talkative and very hangoverish “oil company representative” who talked so wide Aussie English it was a struggle to understand. Especially when I didn’t even want to understand. I tried very hard to keep him quiet by reading a magazine or listening to iPod but he didn’t care and kept talking talking talking and telling war stories from the site and me understanding maybe 30% of what he said. Why is it so difficult to say for a person that you’d rather read your magazine or book than discuss? And why some people are not able to read the social signs of other people wanting some peace and silence? I was wondering this for the total 1h50 minutes flight and didn’t come to a conclusion, the more beer he had the more talkative he went. At Moranbah airport I went to try my luck with the car hire companies and managed to get one due to no-show (how rewarding to realize other people are no-shows too) and without a map or GPS I drove to Moranbah and found the motel with first try. No wildlife in but no hairdryer, hand soap or lights in the bathroom either.

Training has been ok, but I find myself to be a bit tired of repeating the same thing over and over again. I have the tournament tiredness going on and it doesn’t help that one needs to get up at 5am to be at site 6.30 latest to start the session at 7am. I am not at all a morning person and should learn to be to make my life less painful. On Monday morning we had a fire alarm at the site (the beep beep sound) and went to the evacuation assembly area to wait for further instructions. Unlike at Keilaniemi here people act immediately when they hear the alarm sound (I first thought the sound was a truck reversing nearby and did not react at all). Apparently someone had a bun in the microwave a bit too long and the situation was over pretty soon. Classic, bun in a microwave oven!  Last night during my run (love sports tracker, its brilliant) I saw a dead snake. Not very fat but very long one. I was told it was most likely a brown snake, one of the most venomous snakes in Australia and a miner told me today you have 3 minutes of life left if it bites you and they are common in the town. Didn’t want to hear that. Anyways a dead venomous snake is peanuts as Marijke’s colleague had a goanna in her toilet. Yes, a freaking big lizard in the toilet, they are dangerous too. So now the site she’s working at has a safety rule of checking the toilet for goannas before sitting and also lifting the rim to check that there are no snakes curled underneath. How comforting. People say a snake or lizard in a toilet is a urban legend but really it isn't. I said to her that if I ever have any lizards or snakes in my toilet I’ll head to closest international airport and call it a game. Seriously. She’s a brave woman and nowadays a day can be considered good if there is no wildlife in the toilet. Back to basics.

Back to basics. Tomorrow I get to go home a day earlier than planned, sleep in my own bed, have proper coffee, blow dry my hair, sleep longer and wear a dress and high heels. Also I will most likely get fresh rye bread, but that's not basics, that's luxury here.

Pusssss!

//Ansku

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti