keskiviikko 2. marraskuuta 2011

About Melbourne, Melbourne, Melbourne and St Charles Simulator at Coolum


Oh dear, so much has happened during the past two weeks that I don’t know where to start. Well, I love Melbourne. I want to live in Melbourne one day. Love with capital L. Love at first sight love. Ah, missed this. Melbourne is very different from Brisbane, it has more culture, soul and edge, and it’s somehow more European, more exciting and diverse, more like a proper BIG City. Comparing to Melbourne Brisbane feels like the cousin from the country side, not that exciting or sophisticated and with sub-urban label (with no offence to cousins at country side). Anyways, my main reason for visiting Brisbane was of course the wedding of dear friends, a nice Thursday evening cocktail party with zero of the typical wedding formalities like must have games and speeches etc. Ceremony was simple and short and the bride and groom a beautiful couple very much in love with each other. The venue was a fancy old restaurant with superb service that didn’t let my glass empty even for once. Early in the evening I made a promise to have a glass of water “in between” drinks, but the “in between” did not happen and so didn’t the water drinking. I think it was around mid-night I threw my shoes away to feel more comfortable at the dance floor, danced like there was no tomorrow and around 1.30am left the venue bare-foot and took a taxi back to my hotel. I had sore feet from the dancing and sore hair from the drinking, managed to remove my make-up though. Friday morning was not good. The sun of Melbourne and the inner sun of Ansku did not shine…luckily it rained (as it very often does) and I didn’t need to get up early and start exploring the city. I got up around 11am, got out around 1pm, walked in the rain without umbrella looking pretty miserable, got a chicken salad and Bloody Mary (jep) for lunch around 3pm, got enough of being awake and headed back to the hotel for a nap around 5pm. Afterwards thinking I feel slightly ashamed. I was in Melbourne after all.

But I did manage to explore a lot of Melbourne after I survived the dread of day after. To start with, the restaurant and bar scene is great. No, it’s awesome. It is a pity than one can have only one dinner per day and only few drinks in an evening as there are hundreds of places to explore. Dinner wise my absolute favourite was Cookie, recommended by a colleague, tested on Saturday night and by far the best wine-dining experience in Australia, somehow very similar to Farang in Helsinki but lot less of the Asian atmosphere but more cartoon and fairytale style instead. The food was delicious Asian Fusion meant to be shared and price more than reasonable. I considered it to be cheap.  Finally I can believe that Australians do know how to run a restaurant!! Second best dinner was Il Bacaro, a cosy high profile Italian. The problem with Italian is that it rarely is surprising…good, but not mind-blowing. Like the restaurants in Brissie. Or maybe I am just too high maintenance? I got bunch of other recommendations too but as said didn’t have enough evenings to test more. My absolutely favourite Bar was The Melbourne Supper Club at Spring Street. You need to know what you are looking for and where to look for or you miss it. Luckily I was accompanied with Sami who has a very good nose for excellent bars and we found the entrance after walking pass twice. The atmosphere reminded me of few bars in Barcelona, cosy rooftop, great drinks, men smoking cigars and drinking whiskey and women drinking fancy cocktails. I got a fancy cocktail too, or two actually… Melbourne Supper Club is on THE list.

Melbourne is also about excellent shopping. I got a tip from a colleague to head to Chapel Street at Windsor and to start the shopping tour with brunch at YellowBird, order at least one Bloody Mary and only after that make a move to explore the shops around. I did exactly as told, enjoyed a big fat toast with a spicy Bloody Mary, didn’t even mind the rain (is it morning drinks that help people in Melbourne deal with the sucky rain?) and had no problems in spending way more money than planned, but bought strictly quality stuff that can be used both in business and party mode. I did most of my shopping with T. L Wood, an Australian designer with very “my style” collection. She had a good eye on what would suit me, a lot of the stuff did, and I left with a big bag saying I will be back. This is also something I had missed since leaving Finland, finding a brand or a boutique to be loyal to. Chapel Street is like Boundary but a lot bigger and better. It has loads of local designer shops, big international brands too, restaurants, coffee houses, variety of people and good buzz. One cannot get a hold of Chapel Street with one try, it leaves you hungry for more. The only shopping I did outside Chapel was Haigh’s dark chocolate scorched almonds, another “must try” tip from a colleague who loves chocolate even more than I do. Haigh’s had line-up every time I passed the store, the chocolate might help dealing with the rain too? It didn't rain on Sunday but still the situation called for a “pure sin” brekkie at Max Brenner before heading towards St Kilda. You don’t get proper food at Max, you get chocolate in many different forms. Seriously, no dish without chocolate. So I got a waffle with ice-cream, strawberries, bananas (still very expensive in .au, enjoy if you get one) and chocolate FOR brekkie, BECAUSE I am an adult and CAN decide of my daily menu by myself. I felt a bit sick afterwards and thought my Friday-Saturday Bloody Mary was way better choice nutrition wise (which reminds me of one particular mid-summer party where Aki made 10l of Bloody Mary for brekkie, oh dear). Anyways St Kilda is a small and lively beach city with one main street packed with restaurants, shops and coffee houses. The beach is a typical city beach: too many people, touristy and dirty. Beaches and weather, the cousin from the country side wins. The last few hours in Melbourne was spent at Botanical Gardens and enjoying afternoon sun and drinks by the riverside, then “bye bye city of Bloody Marys, chocolate and shopping! See you soon”. Very soon I hope.

Monday morning wake-up was a painfully early as I needed to head towards Sunshine Coast and Coolum already 6am to attend a week long Knowledge Transfer Workshop. I landed to Bris at 10pm, got less than 5 hours of sleep, cursed the iphone wake-up ringtone as I would’ve loved to stay in bed longer and continue living life in Melbourne time. Rise and shine. Up and Out to pick-up my colleague Bec.The Hyatt Regency Coolum was very nice and luxurious with big golf course, several pools, tennis courts, day spa and only 1km away from the beach...something I of course had no chance to enjoy with the tight schedule ahead.  At 8am I met some 200 colleagues from Australia, Singapore and Indonesia and felt like being at St Charles with Accenture Core training, wearing a necklace with a name tag, trying to resist conference candies available EVERYWHERE and having an overload on information, faces, names, coffee and delicious food. Coolum was a luxurious St Charles Simulator, an adult summer camp.

During the first day I realized that content wise the training should take a month, instead of a week and every single sentence and real-life example and scenario our faculty was telling was worth gold and I should’ve been able to speed write down EVERYTHING. There is so much I don’t know and understand. Stupid girl. I was told that most of the people attending have been working with the topic for years and that I shouldn’t panic for not being there, but I still did as I have a tendency to be the immediately if not sooner type of a girl and I hate the feeling of “just not getting it”. Back to the tennis court, starting from the basics, looking like an idiot missing the easy serves and realizing you need to practise hundreds of hours to get to the next level. Patience patience, there’s no shortcut to jump to the expert path, there’s no immediately if not sooner, so all I could do is pay attention, twist my brain to understand the concepts and terms and code language flying around and ask stupid questions during breaks. The sessions were from 8am to 6pm and I was completely exhausted at the end of the days. Evenings where luckily less busy than in St Charles...had a glass of wine and dinner with colleagues and headed back to our villa early for a hot chocolate and sleep, except for Wednesday which was THE party night with BBQ and free drinks.  I, once again, made a sort of promise to go just for the BBQ and hit home early but was convinced by my colleague Charles that this night will be spent on the floor dancing our asses off. Ok! Charles is quite a persona, very “intense” as Bec described and soooo funny that  he should be in entertainment business rather than working with the  letters S, P and A. So surprise surprise in no time I found myself at the only bar around the resort thinking sleeping is so overrated. The fun part of the evening was definitely the rough miners who after too many drinks thought they are a) extremely good dancers b) extremely attractive c) extremely funny approaching women with the weirdest moves and pick-up lines ever d) extremely persistent with their pursuit. For a second there I felt very homey, men get few drinks and “boom” their self confidence is 2km high. Anyways by the time one miner from my break-out group (older than my dad) was dancing without a shirt and opening up his zipper too I decided my eyes had seen too much and called it a night.  On the way back I saw a little baby kangaroo, the first living kangaroo spotted here in Australia which made me so excited I totally forgot the damage of half-naked miner dancing fiercely to the beat of Michael Jackson and got sweet dreams instead of nightmares. Two more days to go. Friday afternoon all the information was poured to our heads and it was time to start well deserved weekend. I felt dead tired, head spinning and somewhat out of place...too much information and too much happening within a week. Late afternoon we headed to Kaija and Ross for a dinner and was welcomed with a big hug and smell of Sauna. Yes, they have a proper Finnish sauna on their backyard and a pool next to it to cool down. It was just what I needed: sauna, pool, smoked salmon, excellent red wine and dear friends. I was normal again. Or at least “normal” with my terms. On Saturday I attended a hen party, on Sunday I had a Martha Stewart day and long long Skype session with little people. After Skype I cried. No drama, the normal story of missing the little people. Sometimes a good cry helps. Chocolate helps too.

This week has been incredibly normal. I go to work, I do work, I get home from work and enjoy life at home. I still have the flu, so no rage runs or yoga or anything else exciting until Saturday which is my internal deadline for being well again and kick-starting the sporty life. Last Thursday I hit the 4 months milestone and made a promise to start having more healthy routines in life...a promise that is worth saying out loud. A promise that is good for Ansku

4 months is 1/3 of a year. Not sure if it is a lot or not.

Love,

//Ansku

PS: In four nights my mom is also coming to Bris, she arrives on Sunday morning and stays over for a month. It will be weird to have “life from Finland” here with me...something that hasn’t been part of the setup since Eepi left. And obviously, can’t wait to get a big warm hug from a loved one. Four nights.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti