keskiviikko 12. lokakuuta 2011

About Straddie, stalker crab and getting fined by officer with kind eyes


Highlight of last week was definitely a visit to Stradbroke Island on Sunday. North Stradbroke or Straddie as the locals call it is the second largest sand island in the world, Fraser Island being the largest and Moreton the third largest. Whereas Moreton Island was 98% of protected national park, Straddie isn’t. It has about 2000 permanent residents, three townships, pretty decent road infrastructure, lots of resorts and even 2 sand mines (if mining companies get a footage somewhere you can forget the nature protecting part). Basically two thirds of the island is leased by mining companies which has been a bit of a hot potato considering the environmental and native heritage value of the island and the mines are forced to shut down latest 2025 (or so I was told).  Good thing with Straddie from touristy point of view is that you get there with your own car, a normal car, which gives of course more flexibility to come and go as you like. You get to the Island with ferry, leaving once an hour and we took the early 8am one as guys went diving (I need to sign up for a course soon)

So for me it was a beach day, perfect one with clear sky and lots of beach to take in a day. I started from Cylinder Beach as it was the first sign that came on my way, thought I will have lots of peace and quiet at 9am but that was certainly not the case and I was accompanied by (too) many families with (too) active and (too) loud kids for my needs. I had my towel, sunscreen, bunch of magazines and water and found a peaceful place that was safe from the footballs and frisbees flying around.  There was also a triathlon going on and the running route went through the beach. I felt a bit sorry for the people trying to make their way in the soft sand under the burning sun, it was so much easier to lie down and drift between naps, dreams and reading...I preferred my choice of Sunday “activity”.

Somewhere half way in the sleep I got a feeling that someone is watching me. I looked around, saw nothing else than the kids and sporty people going by and closed my eyes again. Got again distracted and was 110% sure someone, somewhere is staring at me. Annoying. This went on for some 15 minutes, got a bit nervous and finally looking a bit closer saw a little sand colour almost transparent crab that had very big eyes compared to the size of its body staring at me. Ha! I knew it! I took a picture, had a staring competition with it to make it go away, lost patience (and the staring competition), moved my towel a bit further away to be in private again and in seconds the little stalker followed me (it was apparently interested about my bright yellow towel) and started the staring. I once again went a bit further, the crab followed and stared. I tried to “shhh” it away and it always came back, and stared. Around 10.30 I decided to call it a game and head towards the main beach that’s supposed to be “amazing”. Totally worth it, no screaming kids, no hassle, no sand coloured big eyed crabs staring you, just  38km of beautiful white sand ahead. Think about it, 38km! Pure beach from Helsinki to Jarvenpaa? A hot surfer guy told me the beach was almost empty because of shark alert so I sat down, added some sunscreen, enjoyed the beach, ocean and hot surfers (oh dear) and thought it feels unreal to be here. “Just another Sunday in Australia”. Yeah right. I also had a big ice cream for lunch (as an adult you are allowed to do that) saw 2 whales and huge flock of dolphins and thought it is good that whales do not eat dolphins. I also hope the sharks aren’t eating the surfers who didn’t mind about the alerts. Passion for a sport makes you do crazy brave things?

Going back to ferry we were in terrible hurry as the dive was longer than planned and we had less than 20 minutes time to make it. I got nervous of the idea of missing the ferry, thought with the empty road ahead it is perfectly fine to over speed and cut corners “a little”, saw a police coming against, kind of realized I could be in trouble, saw the police do a u-turn and come after me, knew I am in deep shit and was asked to pull over. Shitshitfuckfuck. I am in trouble. I will go to jail. We will miss the ferry. I opened the window, the officer asked if I have any idea why they asked me to pull over, I gave an innocent smile and said no idea (a big lie of course), the officer asked if I know what the speed limit is, I gave another innocent smile and said ‘70 or 80 maybe . The officer said it is 70kph and they recorded me going 86kph, after breaking. Shitshitfuckfuck. That’s like shit load of over speed (didn’t say that out loud).

He asked me to come to their car. Showed me the recording of 86kph and said “it’s quite heavy over speed young lady”. Young!!!!  I smiled again, told I am extremely sorry, told I’ve never got fined before and cannot believe the first fine of my life happens at Straddie. The officer in charge smiled, he had very kind eyes too that made me feel at ease. Giving my driver’s licence the second officer got very interested of why I am at Australia, and even more interested after hearing I am not here for a holiday. So they all started to ask questions about my reasons to come to here, how I like it, what I have done so far and I told them the not-imported-white-wines-and-avocados-and-hot-surfer boys reasoning and said Straddie is a perfect place for the latter one and the second officer pointed out the white wine part and asked me to do a breath test. “Clean, that’s good news”. I knew that. I asked if I will get a fine and the officer with kind eyes said “I am afraid so, we cannot overlook this in any case”. Oh dear. I asked if it will be a huge fine and he smiled and said “no”. Pheeeew  *smile*.

As the 2 other officers continued asking questions about Finland and my plans in Australia the officer with kind eyes was filling in a fine form, got very confused with my Finnish drivers license and asked me to translate few things. He also said I look very different in the picture and complimented my current style to be lot better. I thanked him and blushed I guess. He asked the officer in the car about some codes, the officer in the car verified the code and said “you are lucky he’s in charge as he has a weak spot for blonds, you get the lowest fine instead of 400AUD”. Ouh? *smile for the officer with kind eyes*  I said “hi” to the officer in the car, and asked if they have the good cop/bad cop roles as in old movies? He laughed and said they are all nice guys. The officer with kind eyes said I will get 133AUD fine and 1 point deduction for my offence and he lets me go because I am “such a nice lady” and hopes I can still make it to the ferry. I smiled, thanked them, wanted to give him a hug (I didn’t) and promised to behave and obey the limits. They said “no worries” and wished me good rest of the Sunday. I thanked them again for being so kind and went back to car, sat down and felt my heart was almost jumping out of the chest. I go fined. I got my first fine with someone else’s car at Stradbroke Island Australia on a Sunday afternoon. I did a crime and got a fine on yellow paper. I lost a point. Don’t know if one point is a lot or not but I had still lost it. I also lost a point in "never have I ever" game (most of the people have got fined before, me too now obviously).The boys asked what happened, laughed when they heard about getting 300AUD discount and said that would never be possible if they were on driver’s seat. You play with the cards you have, huh? Sometimes it is extremely complicated to be a woman, at times (like this) it is so simple it leaves you amazed. God bless macho professions and officers having a weak spot for blonds. Just saved me 300AUD. Worth a nice dress and shoes :)

After getting yellow papered I had basically 3 minutes time to catch the ferry, obeying the speed limit of course, I think we are not making it. At the port the ferry looked full and there were four 4WD in stand-by and a guy shaking his head for our late arrival and talking over the radio to see if it fits one more. Luckily we were the smallest car on the queue and got a go to try to fit in…made it hardly…had audience (of men) on the upper level watching how the lady squeezes in the BMW. Not fair. I just got fined and really don’t need audience with this one *wants to show mental middle finger*. Figuring out from the whistles and cheers there’s apparently something “interesting” with a blond driving a black sporty BMW? Que? We got in with zero extra space, my heart was still racing, and I think I had a lot of luck on my side the past 10 minutes. Luckily rest of the Sunday was less exciting. My heart beat got steady, got home happy, tired and hungry and went to Story Bridge hotel to have some dinner and chill out. Got dinner but no chill out as there was on Aussie rugby game going on and the place crowded with fanatic supporters. Australia won, I guess. What a Sunday.

This week has been very interesting at work. I am continuing with onboarding on the topics I am working on and realized I have learnt something as it takes less energy to follow the conversation (I can speak mine on some level!)  But on the other hand, I’ve gained the level of knowledge to understand there’s heaps of stuff I DONT understand and there is a lot of complexity in terms of the business, different functional areas, project and our approach too. So my learning curve is pretty much getting vertical, which is exactly what I wanted and days go flying by. I also get more and more confident with the fact that I have an amazing team around me and we’ll have quite a ride together. Good people is one of my key motivators at work, I can deal with lot of shit if I am dealing with it in good company. So the anxiety with work is easing up thanks to fun and smart people and the relaxed feeling at the office. I have my own seat (and locker) too, with my name in it, first time since 3.5 years or something. Feels very grown-up and official.

I’ve also Skyped a lot this week, with friends and family. It is fun to hear what’s happening back home, or to be honest to realize that not much has changed back homw while I am having a 24/7 adventure here. I also don’t mind the cold-buu-dark-buu-wet-buu updates I am reading every morning, while I am writing this I have my balcony door open as it is pretty warm outside (and inside) already. So my friends start saving and planning your escape to warmer side of the world, it’s my 5th day without woollen socks again.

Pus pus

//Ansku

PS. After this I upload new pics, losts of them. I know I've been terribly bad with it so far...try to behave better in the future. Try.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti